Download PDF version (141k) Log In or Register to view the full article as a PDF document.
JLC ??MARCH 1992 Virginia: The standards of responsibility for fire safety continue to rise. Prince William County fire officials recently charged the parents of three children who died in two October 1991 fires with failing to properly maintain the smoke detectors in their homes, according to a report in NAHB's State and Local Reporter. If convicted, the parents face fines and possible prison terms. One parent was a homeowner, the other a renter. The homeowner was charged with disabling the smoke detectors in his home. The renter was charged with failing to maintain the detectors in the house she was renting; her landlord was also charged with failing to file notice with the fire marshal, as required, certifying that the smoke detectors worked. Massachusetts: On December 31, 1991, Governor William Weld signed into law House