Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.


Other stories by Redwood Kardon

  • Q&A: Receptacles on Ungrounded Electrical Circuits

    Q: My questions have to do with existing ungrounded circuits in older homes. My understanding is that you should always replace worn-out two-slot receptacles with new two-slot receptacles (although they’re not always easy to find). However, I’ve also been told that in some locales you can install a...

  • Q&A: Grounding Steel Studs

    Q: Are there any special requirements for electrical grounding when using metal studs?

  • Q&A: Plastic Pressure-Relief Piping

    Q: Is it acceptable to use plastic piping for the pressure-relief discharge on a domestic water heater? The BOCA code in my area requires that the discharge piping be rated at or above the temperature of the system, but it’s not clear whether that refers to the temperature of the water in the tank...

  • Q&A: Sealing Fire-Stop Penetrations

    Q: When we build homes, we drill numerous holes through wall plates and subfloor assemblies for wiring, plumbing, and hvac ducts. Are there any code requirements for sealing the gaps around these penetrations?