Figure 1. Water with low pH levels or high CO2 content, often referred to as aggressive water, can prematurely wear out copper piping (top). Thermal-galvanic corrosion, caused by a variety of factors, usually damages hot water pipes first (bottom).

There are two main types of corrosion related to aggressive water: pitting, which affects an entire system, and thermal-galvanic corrosion, which first affects hot water pipes. Pitting accounts for about 75% of all the repipes my company does, with the other 25% stemming from thermal-galvanic corrosion. Depending on the severity of the problem,...

or Register to read the full article.