Jeff May

Q Is it OK to use a joist bay for a return-air plenum in an HVAC system?

A Jeff May, an indoor air–quality specialist from Tyngsborough, Mass., responds: The type of plenum that you refer to is known in the industry as a “panned bay.” It’s made by simply attaching sheet metal to the bottoms of two or more adjacent joists to create a duct for returning air to the HVAC system. While this type of return duct is...

or Register to continue reading