In the article "Safety Lessons" (8/06), you described the fire we had in 2004 at our paint shop facility. I would like to point out that the employee did not toss the oily rags into an open trash container, as was mentioned, but placed them in a bucket of water, as recommended. Unfortunately he neglected to put a cover on the container, which was placed outside on a wooden loading dock.

The fire marshal's inspection pointed to a spread of flames across the wooden dock that reached the overhead doors. My guess is that the rags caught fire inside the bucket or the bucket was tipped by a curious raccoon. Regardless, this illustrates the very serious hazards that can result from the disposal of rags soaked with linseed oil or...

or Register to read the full article.