Replacing the Trim Around a Classic Doorway

I loosened the clapboard siding around the door, removing any that had cracked or rotted, and patching in pieces of new sheathing where the old had to be replaced.

I removed the old door threshold and installed an aluminum flashing pan that I had formed with a home-made jig.

I held the trim about 1/2 inch off the side of the house with blocking strips for drainage and air circulation and fastened it in place with countersunk stainless-steel screws.

The second and third side pieces were installed next ...

... followed by the head casing.

The first ornamental pieces to be installed were the plinths (at the bottom of the columns) and the capitals (at the top).

Because these profiles were pretty simple, I just routed the edges, using bearing-guided bits.

Each capital consisted of five pieces, which I primed and then glued and tacked together on the workbench before caulking and screwing the assembly in place.

I pre-assembled all the moldings as “kits” at my workbench, starting with the architrave—a simple flat board with molding—which I placed on top of the capitals.

I built the soffit at my workbench in two pieces: a bottom part with attachment blocks and a fascia that wrapped around it.

A band of crown molding—with angled blocks reinforcing it from inside — topped off the cornice.

The frieze had a simple curved face and slight curves at the ends, which I created with a jigsaw and a disc sander.

I topped the cornice cap with a layer of self-adhering flashing that slipped under the building paper above the door.

I also added a layer of lead flashing over the whole thing and sealed it against the wall with flashing tape.

Join the Discussion

Please read our Content Guidelines before posting

Close X