A.Master Plumber Rex Cauldwell responds: A water hammer arrester won't solve the problem; I think the problem is in the faucet body itself. This type of water pulsation and the associated water hammer are typical of faucets with balancing valve assemblies and check valves. The problem is not limited to one manufacturer; I've experienced it with several brands.

You have a choice of pulling the valve cartridge and checking it for debris or just replacing the faucet. Most of the time, I replace the faucet, because, even with new parts, I often can't fix the problem. I typically switch the faucet to a Moentrol, by Moen (800/289-6636, http://www.moen.com); I've had the best luck with that brand.

or Register to continue reading