Download PDF version (43.3k) Log In or Register to view the full article as a PDF document.
The vast majority of domestic hot water heaters — 90 percent — use natural gas or electricity for their heat source, with the remaining 10 percent split among oil, LP gas, wood and solar power. Most of the solar heaters are used by people in Florida and the Southwest, while wood heaters are used by old-timers and die-hard "back to the earth" types. LP gas is found in remote areas where people are concerned about their electric costs, and oil is used most often in commercial applications and by homeowners who use the fuel for space heat as well. Not surprisingly, most of the electric heaters are found in the Pacific Northwest and in the Tennessee