A colorless, odorless, flavorless,
nonirritating gas, carbon
monoxide (CO) causes more
poisoning deaths today than
any other substance. In my work as a professional
engineer with Iowa State
University Extension, I've investigated
more than 65 indoor air quality cases in
the last three years, many of them related
to CO production and venting problems.
Inadequate installation and maintenance
of heating appliances and improper venting
can cause serious health problems,
mental deterioration, and death to residents
exposed to the gas.
Preventing indoor CO problems isn't
impossible. Proper installation and regular
maintenance of equipment by
trained and qualified heating contractors
reduces the probability of CO emissions
and venting failures.
Yearly service by a qualified heating
contractor is vital to reducing the risks